Job description: Research scientist (M/F) for the Royal Military Academy, Department of Mathematics, project 'Social Media Intelligence Exploitation' (DAP19-03)
Publication date: 31 January 2020
Job description and associated tasks
In the framework of a research project of the Belgian Defense entitled SOCMINTEX (Social Media Intelligence Exploitation), we are looking for a full-time research scientist with a Master of Science degree in Computer Science, (Applied) Science or Engineering.
The Royal Military Academy of Belgium (RMA) is a military institution of university education responsible for the basic academic, military and physical training of future officers, and for the continuing advanced training of officers during their active career in the Belgian Defense department (www.rma.ac.be). The Royal Military Academy is also conducting scientific research at university level for projects funded by the Belgian Defense department or external sources.
You work within the research unit of the department of Mathematics. You conduct scientific research at university level on the SOCMINTEX project.
The conducted research is part of the SOCMINTEX research project. Social media mining is a recent and emerging field which combines theories and methodologies from different disciplines to formally represent, measure, model, and mine meaningful patterns from large-scale social media data.
The expected outcome of this research project is the development of a SOCMINTEX toolbox containing different modules. These modules include:
- Data collection from various social media data sources
- Analysis and visualization of network topology (including evolution of topology over time)
- Analysis of user activity (metadata, natural language processing, pattern recognition)
The researcher will be integrated in the research team headed by Dr. Ir Maj Filip Van Utterbeeck and Prof. Dr. Ir Wim Mees.
The contract will be for a duration of 4 years.
- You are responsible for the creation and efficient implementation of the algorithms and techniques used in the different modules.
- You create an easy to use interface to visualize the results in a comprehensible way to non-experts.
- You analyse the obtained results and report the obtained results at international conferences and write scientific papers in English.
- You hold a degree of Master of Science in Computer Science, (Applied) Science or engineering (or equivalent)
- You are knowledgeable about networks (graphs) and big data database systems
- Experience with computer programming is required
- Experience with front-end development is considered an asset
- Experience with social network API’s & social network models is considered an asset
- Experience with large scale computing is considered an asset
- The successful candidate has to be committed to confidentiality and exclusivity and will therefore have to obtain the required security clearance
- The candidate must consent with the background check required to obtain this clearance, which will be performed by the Belgian Defence
- You conduct scientific research in an independent and upright way within a multidisciplinary environment
- You think in an innovative and creative way
- You communicate your results in a clear, concise and precise manner
- You take initiatives
- You are involved and results oriented
- You are honest, loyal toward the institution and respect confidentiality
- You plan and manage proactively your self-development, while being critical to your own functioning and striving towards self-improvement
- You improve the team-spirit and solve interpersonal conflicts
- You solve problems autonomously and find alternatives or solutions
- You behave in a respectful way toward the others, their ideas and opinions as well as toward procedures and instructions
- You are flexible for change and adapt yourself
- You commit yourself in your job by giving the best of your aptitudes in striving toward the highest quality standards and persevere when needed
- The applicant shall have a good knowledge of English (oral / written)
- Minimum knowledge of French or Dutch is recommended (collaboration with peers)
|Point of contact
- Probable date of recruitment: from 1 May 2020, in consultation with the applicant
- Status: full-time employment based on an open-ended contract with the Royal Military Academy – Patrimony (you will not be a civil servant)
- Wage scale: A11 (holders of a master's degree in Science) / A21(Ir or holders of a master's degree in Engineering Sciences (Applied Sciences))
- Extra-legal benefits:
- possibility to obtain a bonus for bilingualism (Dutch/French)
- holiday pay
- end-of-year bonus
- hospitalisation insurance
- free public transport (home-work commute)
- free access to the on-campus sport infrastructure
- On-campus restaurant and cafeteria with discount on the daily menu
- Royal Military Academy, Renaissancelaan 30, 1000 Brussels
- Occasional travels abroad
- Stimulating work environment
docx bestandVeiligheidsscreening (28 kB)